The history of this brand is based on the stories of two famous car brands – Mercedes, produced by the German company Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz, which were built by the same company.
Both companies developed quite successfully on their own, and in 1926 merged into a new concern “Daimler-Benz”.
After the merger of Daimler and Benz in 1926, the new concern Daimler-Benz was able to effectively use the experience and knowledge of designers of both companies, which was headed by Ferdinand Porsche.
He completely updated the production program, taking as a basis the latest Daimler models, now produced under the Mercedes-Benz brand.
The first new development of the Porsche in 1926 was a compressor series, which included a model 24/100/140 with a six-cylinder engine with a working volume of 6240 cm³. For high power and speed (up to 145 km/h) it was called the “death trap”.
It became the base for the more famous series S, which consisted of models S (Sport), SS (Supersport), SSK (Supersport Kurz – short sport) and SSKL (Supersport Kurz leicht – short sport).
In 1928, Porsche left Daimler-Benz, and his place was taken by Hans Nibel. Under his leadership were made passenger cars Mannheim 370 with a six-cylinder engine with a working volume of 3.7 liters and Nürburg 500 with an eight-cylinder 4.9-liter unit, based on the latest developments of the Porsche.
In 1930, the Großer Mercedes (Big Mercedes) or Mercedes-Benz 770 (W07) with an eight-cylinder 200 hp engine with a displacement of 7655 cm³ and a supercharger was introduced.
In 1931 the company made its debut in the sector of small cars, where it was represented by a very successful Mercedes 170 with a six-cylinder engine with a working volume of 1692 cm³ and independent front wheel suspension.
In 1933 there was a passenger Mercedes-Benz 200 and a sports Mercedes-Benz 380 with 2.0- and 3.8-liter engines, the latter developed 140 hp with a supercharger.
On the basis of the sports model in 1934 were created Mercedes-Benz 500K with a 5-liter engine, which became the basis for the more famous big compressor car Mercedes-Benz 540K two years later.
In 1934-1936 the company produced a light Mercedes-Benz 130 with a four-cylinder 26-horsepower rear-engined engine with a working volume of only 1308 cm³, followed by a roadster 150 and a sedan 170H.
Under the technical direction of Chief Designer Max Sailer, who succeeded Niebel in 1935, the popular inexpensive model 170V with a four-cylinder engine with a working volume of 1697 cm³ was created, the world’s first production car with a diesel engine 260D (1936), as well as the new “Big” Mercedes-Benz 770 (W150) (1938) with a frame of oval beams and rear spring suspension, which served the Nazi leaders.