Triumph Cycle Co. Ltd was founded in 1885 by German emigrants – Siegfried Betmann and Maurice Schulte – and initially specialized in the production of bicycles. In 1923, the production of cars began.
In 1930, the company changed its name to Triumph Motor Company. In the mid 30s, the company suffered serious financial losses.
The company “Triumph Motor Company” is bought by the owner of the company “Ariel” Jack Sangster and renamed the company to Triumph Engineering Co Ltd.
In November 1944, the plant was acquired by Sir John Black, owner of the Standard Motor Company, which manufactured cars and supplied engines to other manufacturers.
In 1946, the combined company Triumph-Standart presented the first two joint vehicles, structurally similar to each other: sedan Triumph – 1800 and convertible Triumph – 1800 Roadster.
In 1961, the Standard – Triumph company was bought by Leyland Motors. A further merger in 1967 with the company Rover, led to the formation of British Leyland Motors Corporation in 1968.
During the period from 1968 to 1970, the Triumph company produced several new models: the Triumph medium sedan – 2.5 PI with fuel injection system and sports Stag, which in terms of equipment was not inferior to the Triumph-2000 and 2500 medium sedans.
In 1972-1973 there was an upgrade of Dolomite and Dolomite Sprint models. In 1976, a new sports model TR-7 came off the assembly line, which since 1979 was also offered with a convertible body.
In 1977, the Stag model was withdrawn from production. At this time the company got into a difficult financial situation and began to get rid of cars that were not in high demand. At the same time, all models with 6-cylinder engines were excluded from the program.